Friday, August 27, 2010

Summer is over?

Three months since I last wrote?  Really?  Because it felt like a couple of weeks to me.  Where did the summer go?  As I look through the dozens of photos from our summer adventures, I realize I could write a giant catch-up post about vacations, camps, trek, reunions, recitals, birthdays, anniversary, projects, and the secret to a successful summer with 2 teenagers and one almost teen (it took me most of the summer to discover this secret—the last three weeks of vacation were amazing!)  But a post like that is much too overwhelming and would use up the rest of Hayley’s nap time and I’ve got much to get done before she wakes up!  So I’m starting with today and moving on.  You’re welcome.
Yesterday was the first day since the middle of May that all of my school children are in school at the same time.  Jillian and Corinne started school at the end of July, but Grant, Evan, and Alyssa just went back this week.  This year I have 6 children, 5 of them in school, and attending 4 different schools.  It took me over an hour to enter all of their schedules into Google calendar last night.  Different start times, ending times, early out days, late start days, mid-day kindergarten runs, before and after school practices, Hayley’s nap, and carpools.  Could life get any crazier?  Please, please say “no”.  But the upside?  For the first time in I don’t know how long, I have time to myself every afternoon while Corinne is in school and Hayley is napping.
Guess what I did with that time yesterday afternoon?  Primed and painted a dresser and a little rocking chair (I’ll post pictures later), baked cookies, and cleaned a bathroom!  With absolutely no interruptions.  It was heavenly.  I have big plans for myself.  I am going to savor every minute.  For the next week.  And then Jillian and Corinne will be off-track for most of September.  Just to keep me on my toes and make sure I don’t get too used to this free time phenomenon.
DSC04933 Corinne’s first day of Kindergarten—she’s waited months for this!  (but on the second day of school she said, “This was the worst day of school ever.”)
DSC04912Jillian is in fourth grade and so far the reports are all good.  This year she is also the only child in the family taking piano lessons!
DSC04807Grant just started 7th grade—which is the first year of middle school in these parts.  The night before he could barely sleep because he was a little stressed about finding all of his classes, but after 2 days he’s feeling rather confident.(This wasn’t taken on the first day of school.  I’ve given up on those photos for the older kids—they roll their eyes at me, and besides, they leave too early for all that fuss.)
DSC04861Evan went to his first day of high school yesterday—He’s a sophomore this year.  He’s running cross country and they’ve been practicing since May.  (Sorry, Evan, this is the only recent picture of you I could find!)
DSC04596
And then there’s Alyssa.  On her first day of school, she told her sisters, “I’m in college now.”  Which is true.  She is now attending an Early College High School at the community college.  She’s taking high school and college classes at the same time, but all with other high school students.  I’m excited for her—it seems like it will be a great program.  (As for this picture—I’ll do a post soon that will reveal what she painted.)
DSC04938

Can’t forget Hayley.  This is how she feels about all of the kids leaving her during the day.  Just kidding.  This is what happens when I don’t give her exactly what she wants.  She is sitting on my lap right now (naptime is over, sigh.) and upon seeing this picture on the screen said, “Be happy, Hayley!”
DSC04968

And this is me, enjoying my life of leisure.  I get up every morning and hike in the mountains.  I wish.  Actually, this was taken last week in Logan Canyon.  Brian and I escaped for three days to celebrate our anniversary.  Our kids barely noticed we were gone—Corinne even said, “why didn’t you stay longer?”  (thanks, Mitchell and Erin!)
There.  My brief post is over.  Good thing I kept it short!

9 comments:

Nicole said...

I am glad you were so productive during your free time. I just wanted to take a nap after reading that your life is so busy you have to enter everything into a scheduler. Kuddos to you!

Tracy said...

Sigh...it's like I could have written this post myself, only you've got an extra school and teenager and child on me!? Earlier this week I also spent at least an hour trying to get everyone's schedules into Google calendar. I find myself wondering how to possibly stay on top of things and also how to most effectively use my newly inputed calendar that I haven't looked at since. What works for you?

You look GREAT, supermom!

Marliese said...

Great post...a nice glimpse at your FULL and amazing life. I hope when the time comes I handle all of that as well as you do. Google calender?? yikes...obviously my life is completely easy and boring with just two kids in the same school, and two at home. Good luck!

Marcie Francis said...

I'm dying of curiosity about the secret to a successful summer with teenagers. Of course, I don't need to know just yet, but maybe I'll ask you in about six years!
I look up to you.

merathon said...

yeah, i want to know that secret too, cuz maybe it will come in handy with my sunday school class of 14 year olds!

you escaped for THREE days?? wowsa. i want to have our anniversary trip someday too...

can't wait to see posts about all the projects you accomplish with all this free time now!

Rachel Sorber said...

How fun! I have to admit, I might have whined a little about driving my 2 kids back and forth to the same school building (3 trips a day). You have helped me resolve to quit my whining and be grateful for all the free time I have!!! You look great, by the way! :)

Unknown said...

Cute picture of you! You look great! Sounds like it was a well-deserved and well-timed getaway before all the madness started. I can't wait to see your projects and Alyssa's painting!

Mitchell said...

Where is the picture of Brian?? And I also wonder why you didn't stay longer.....

We had tons of fun playing with the kids for 3 days. I make a pretty good Mr Mom if I do say so myself...

stephanie said...

Great catch-up post. Did you happen to have a little help with that chair??? I'm so jealous of your nap break!