Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Seventeen

DSC05331  Does that number shock you like it does me?  Alyssa turned 17 this month!  I am the mother of a 17-year-old.  She is in her 18th year.  Next year is her last year of high school.  She is taking college classes.  I am still trying to grasp these facts. 
This week I have been reflecting upon December of 1993.  For the first time in years, I was no longer in school or working.  I spent my days in a little Wymount apartment getting to know our sweet little girl.  I curled up on the couch with her in my arms, staring at the tree lights and listening to Christmas music and thinking about Mary and her newborn son.  What a calm and peaceful Christmas.  I didn’t realize at the time how simple my life was.  Barely any cleaning to do in a 450-square-foot apartment.  Cooking for two—easy.  Christmas shopping?  Not much to buy at all, and not much money to buy it with, either.  No wonder that was a magical Christmas. 
A few things have changed since then, but I am still as thankful as ever to be Alyssa’s mother.  These are 17 qualities I love about her.
  1. intelligence
  2. beauty—inside and out
  3. sincerity
  4. artistic ability
  5. musical talent
  6. sensibility
  7. honesty
  8. sensitivity
  9. obedience
  10. integrity
  11. kindness
  12. example
  13. good friend
  14. testimony
  15. faithful
  16. helpful
  17. self-confidence

Happy 17th birthday, Alyssa!

DSC05325

10 comments:

Marc and Miriam Deru said...

Mirien, if I can be anything like the mother you are when Anna is in her 18th year, I'll be patting myself on the back. Happy birthday, Alyssa!

Unknown said...

What a great reminiscence of life those 17 years ago. A lot has changed since then! Happy birthday, Alyssa!

Lara said...

I remember those simple early days of motherhood very well. I read, cross-stitched and snuggled my baby all day long. On crazy days I still get a little nostalgic for that simplicity.

By the way, Happy birthday to your beautiful Alyssa!

merathon said...

what a great example alyssa is for her little cousins. and i L-O-V-E that picture!

Karen said...

I love that picture too! Happy Birthday Alyssa!!!!!!!!!

Tracy said...

Ditto from me--gorgeous pictures and a beautiful list of qualities. She's the total package! Happy birthday Alyssa!

Melayna said...

Happy (late) Birthday to my most mature niece!! Love you! Can't wait to travel together . . . ;-)

Kathy@DandelionsandDustBunnies said...

I have a few pictures of me visitng that little ole apartment and holding Alyssa. My how time has flown by. I think Melayna and I got to babysit or something.

Brad Fallon said...

Great quality list! Alyssa is an example of a good teenager. Keep it up.
Brad Fallon

A Momma said...

Happy Birthday Alyssa! You look so cute in those pictures.