I used to be the kind of mom who talked the kids out of big plans, especially if I thought it meant more work for me or involved trying to sell things to the neighbors. Until Jillian took charge and worked out all the details and assured me that she had everything under control. She and her sisters wanted to have a lemonade stand—it was on their summer to-do list. She requested a list of jobs that she, Corinne, and Hayley could do around the house to earn money to buy their start-up supplies. She made a list of things to buy—cups, lemonade (it has to be the good kind, Mom, made from real lemon juice because it tastes better, she insisted), napkins, and chocolate chips for the cookies she wanted to make. The rest of the items I let her purchase from me.
She got up early this morning to bake cookies, and then worked hard designing and making a banner. She allowed Corinne to make a sign, and in the process I overheard Corinne say, “Oops, I made a mistake. Oh, well.” Immediately Jillian said, “Oh, well??? Fix it! It has to look really good.”
But the best part was this piece of paper that I didn’t find until after they had hauled everything to the corner and set up their stand. Apparently there was an employee training meeting this morning where the rules were explained to the 4-year old “sign holder” and the 7-year-old “casheire”. Take a look below. Does she know her sisters well, or what. (#6 “All employees who whine or cry loudly will be asked to leave.” Such a great rule.)
I loved watching these girls set up their stand and wait for customers. Hayley was so cute smiling and waving her sign at passing cars, even when she forgot rule #2 after a car would drive by without stopping and she’d drop her sign in defeat. Business was booming this afternoon despite a little wind and overcast sky. They’d run home to restock the cookie plate or to give me an update on how many customers they’d had.
They closed up shop when they felt a few raindrops and were almost out of cookies, and hauled everything (including the wooden table from their bedroom!) back home with huge smiles, talking about how to spend their money. (Corinne—movie ticket to see Brave, Hayley—candy, and Jillian—”probably I’ll start saving for college since I can’t think of anything else I want right now.”) Can you see how she came up with rule #8? Purpose accomplished.
5 comments:
Wow, that's pretty amazing that your girls just did that on their own, start to finish! The set up is really cute too- much cuter than anything me and my sisters ever came up with! Those girls are sure lucky to have eachother.
Darling! Thanks for posting--your girls are so fun.
Cute story. That banner is impressive. Is that the standard for lemonade stands in Utah now? Wow, we would never survive there. :)
Way to be a good sport and encourage their entrepreneurial spirit!
Awesome! Love it. And those girls are tooooo cute.
We were so impressed that we showed the photos and told our district mtg. all about it. They were impressed that Jill is only 11and organized it.(Like her mom) and didn't want to spend it. (like her dad)Remarkable!
Post a Comment