We celebrated Alyssa’s 15th birthday today two days ago (why does it take me days to write a single post in between lots of interruptions?). It was a busy day but she was so understanding about us squeezing in a cinnamon roll breakfast before school and a lasagna dinner in the few minutes between basketball practice and YW in Excellence & the scout court of honor. We didn’t do cake and presents until after 9pm when we were all home again.
What would I do without Alyssa? She is a second mother to Hayley and she is so good at it! Much better than I was at her age. I don’t even have to ask for her help—she just jumps in and changes diapers or offers to read Corinne a story. Brian and I have slipped away on a date a few times since Hayley was born and Alyssa does such a great job taking care of everyone while we’re gone.
When I read my teenage journals, I look at Alyssa and realize that she is more mature and self-assured than I felt at her age. She is becoming quite talented on the piano and can play music I never could. She is an amazing artist and already draws much better than I did in my high school art classes—and she’s never taken a class until recently. And last weekend when I played a game with her I was reminded again how intelligent she is.
I watched her during the YW in Excellence program on her birthday while I held Hayley in my arms and realized what a beautiful, kind, and accomplished person she is becoming. I marveled how quickly the last 15 years have passed since I was holding Alyssa the same way. I am so thankful for the gospel and the teachings and guidance it gives us as we strive to raise excellent young women. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful oldest daughter. I love you, Alyssa!
6 comments:
What a great post. I love the image of you sitting there in YW in Excellence. I can't believe she is 15!!
And no, I don't think I AM ready for a month long break...how about you?!
Wow, how did our oldest daughters get to be 15??? Alyssa is sweet and smart, and talented, and all the things you said. Happy Birthday, Alyssa!
Happy Birthday Alyssa. We love you and are thinking of you in Albuquerque.
Mirien, I didn't even know you had another baby! Congratulations! And Alyssa is 15, I can't believe how quickly time goes. I am excited to keep up with your family on your blog. We'd love to see you guys! Love, Stacey
Whew--I must be pregnant--that post made me cry!! Simply touching. (Dab, dab.) I sure had fun gabbing with Alyssa on the phone on her birthday--she is SO OLD!
You're lucky to have such a great young woman in your family. I can't believe she's 15!
Post a Comment