Monday, May 25, 2009

Why Are They Smiling?

I started writing this post almost two months ago, the day after my little nephew, Dexter, died. I never published it because I had trouble expressing my feelings in words. Today, because it's Memorial Day, I'm trying again.

I've been thinking about a question that Corinne asked recently. She was looking over my shoulder as I read my sister's blog, anxious for news about little Dexter and his progress. Corinne was aware of his medical condition and had been praying for him daily. She saw a picture of Monette and Aaron with their three children. "Mom, why are they smiling?" "What do you mean, Corinne?" "Why are Monette and Aaron smiling when baby Dexter is so sick? It's really sad, but they look happy." I told her, "They are happy because they love Dexter and they're so glad that Heavenly Father sent him to their family. They're happy because they know that Dexter will be their son forever, even if he doesn't get to live on the earth for very long." How thankful I am for the restored gospel that helps us answer hard questions.

After learning that Dexter had died, I had many more opportunities for sweet conversations with my children about the plan of salvation and trust in our Father in Heaven and the eternal nature of families. I will always be grateful that we traveled to Denver for the funeral. I have many poignant memories from that special day.
  • I remember the grief that overcame me as I looked inside the little casket at this beautiful baby, and ached for his parents who could no longer hold him.
  • I remember the tangible peace and comfort that enveloped all of us as Monette and Aaron stood at the pulpit and spoke with conviction and composure of faith, prayer, and hope.
  • I remember the words of their bishop who felt inspired to say that one of Dexter's missions on this earth was to remind us of what is truly important in life and to help us recommit to living in a way that will allow us to be reunited with him someday.
  • I remember the beautiful prayer at the cemetery and watching in awe as the little Dahle family sat serenely beside the casket. I can still hear Elodie's sweet voice: "Goodbye, Dexter. We love you!"
  • I remember the tears that poured down our faces as we watched Monette and Aaron cling to each other, crying softly, as Dexter's casket was lowered into the ground.
  • I remember the love and the laughter and the hugs and the tears as we spent the day together.
  • I remember hugging my children a little tighter and vowing to "teach (them) all that (they) must do to live with Him someday".
  • I remember the example of my little sister and her faithful husband who showed us that the Lord will never leave us comfortless and that He will sustain us through the challenges of earthly life as we put our faith and trust in Him. Our Heavenly Father loves us and has a beautiful plan for us. Corinne, that is why we smile.

10 comments:

merathon said...

i'm glad you finally finished that post. it was perfect, just like dexter.

The Dahle Family said...

Thanks for that post, Mirien!! I am so glad that you guys came to Denver to share that with us!! I had no idea how much strength the presence of extended family could give. We love you guys!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts about this. I think their Bishop said it perfectly- we all really have been strengthened by Dexter's life, recommitted to the truths we already know.

Jenni said...

Thanks for sharing your testimony of eternal families.

Lara said...

What a beautiful post. Thank you for sharing your tender feelings in that difficult time. It is a beautiful plan isn't it?

Erin said...

What an amazing story of strength, love, and faith. I welcome the tears...I needed such a wonderful message today. Thank you. I hope your sister and family continue to do well.

Stacey said...

Mirien,
I was so touched by your post. Thank you for sharing your testimony with us. It was beautiful.

Tracy said...

What a special post. It's hard to put those tender feelings into words. Thanks for sharing them.

Tracy said...

Hmm, obviously I didn't read the comments before I wrote mine...Lara sure sounds like someone I'd like... :)

Cori said...

Thank you for this post Mirien. It was very beautifully written. I am sad for the loss of Dexter and even though I didn't know him, he has helped me too. It helped me be reminded of what is most important in life and that the Plan of Salvation was made by a loving Heavenly Father.