Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Really? Why?

Corinne and I just had one of those great conversations that warmed my heart and reassured me that I’m doing a good job instilling values and gospel teachings.  It happened on an ordinary day, in the car on the way to dance class.  It went something like this:

Corinne:  I just love dancing and I can’t wait to be in the recital!

Me:  I’m glad you like it.  What’s your favorite part about dancing?

Corinne:  (said with great enthusiasm)  I get to wear immodest clothes!  I love being immodest!

Me:  Really?  Why?

Corinne:  Because immodest clothes are so much more stylish and beautiful.

Me:  temporarily speechless and thinking that we need a family home evening lesson soon to combat the glamour of Disney Princesses and Barbie and glitzy ballet costumes
DSC04328

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow. Good luck with that lesson! I can't wait to have a little girl... :)

Nicole said...

I love your family pictures! They are so cute! I have just come to the realization that one day I will have to worry more about the modesty issue. It is not as big of a worry when dressing a boy.

merathon said...

oh sweet-- didn't realize you were being sarcastic in that first part until i read on!

The Dahle Family said...

Oh boy. That is a big issue. I took one of the YW to a POMS Competitive Dance Team Try-outs Info meeting, and the coach seriously said that bootie shorts and and a tight tank top/shirt were required because they "want to see as much of your body as possible." Seriously. Well all right then. Good luck!

Lara said...

Sounds exactly like something one of my girls would say...

Erin said...

that's when you start making your own ballerina outfits using turtlenecks and some tulle haha

i'm convinced that mitchell and i's future daughters will want nothing to do with dance garbage stuff ... we will quickly enroll them into a nice chess club or something.

Karen said...

Oh my. And where do you live -- UTAH?? It's scary, huh??? But look at her sweet little face in that picture -- she will be 'stylish and beautiful' no matter what. And I LOVE LOVE those pictures. What a gorgeous family!! Of course you would have been much better looking without so much clothing on . . .

Marliese said...

Yikes, this very issue has been on my mind a lot. Tessa's recital was today, and it was full of dancers that were barely covered. Her costume was still somewhat tasteful, but we're worried what she may be asked to wear in the future.

I love Corinne, she really says just what she thinks...I know she's not the only little girl who thinks that way. It's always a relief that your kids test you like that, when you ARE an amazing mother, instilling strong values. It's a tough (& glitzy) world to combat out there!

Stacey said...

That is so cute and funny!

stephanie said...

Wow. Corinne is one of a kind! (luckily).