But she won’t admit it. She fights the nap war every single day. Lately, however, she’s become a little more resigned and logical about the inevitable. This was our conversation one day last week.
We eat lunch, take Corinne to kindergarten, read a story—the usual routine. “Hayley,” I ask, “now what time is it?”
“Naptime!” she exclaims.
I carry her up the stairs while she tells me that she wants exactly 3 blankets in her bed. I put her in her crib and cover her up with the right number of blankets.
“Mom—I’m going to be crying soon,” she informs me.
“Why are you going to cry?” I ask.
“Because you’re going to leave.”
“You’re right, I am going to leave your room. But I’ll be downstairs and I’ll come and get you when you wake up. Good night, Hayley.”
“Okay, good night, Mom.”
I leave the room and close the door as the crying begins in full force. Between sobs she is saying, “I. Don’t. Want. To. Take. A. Nap.”
I go downstairs and jump right into project mode. In a few minutes, all is quiet. She’s sound asleep.
I love that girl. She knows a nap is required but has to warn me that she’s really not as grown up as she often acts and that sometimes she feels like crying. It’s so much easier to handle when she has prepared me first.
6 comments:
That is really funny! Peter is starting to figure out that he doesn't have to take naps too, although not quite as dramatically. I'm hanging on as long as I possibly can! Nap time is very important. Oh, and I love that Thanksgiving tablecloth! What a great idea!
you just reminded me that at this time of year i should be feeling VERY thankful that emery still LOVES her 3 hour naps and sometimes asks for them if we are out running errands later than usual! today i had to wake her up cuz it was after 5:00 and she was still sleeping away when it she had gone down a little after 1:00!
i love hayley's little sweater dress! i want one for ME!
What a character, love that Hayley!
Hayley is adorable, with a personality to match! You are a lucky and wonderful mom!!!!
She is adorable, inside and out!!
Two is a hard in between age for naps. Deven turned 2 in Dec and tries to go without a nap, but then crashes at dinner time. But if he does take a nap longer than an hour or so, he's up until 11:00 at night. What to do???? We mama's need our quiet time though huh.
Post a Comment