Monday, February 21, 2011

My Perfect Day

a long retrospective post with no pictures
Last night I went to bed with the most wonderful feeling.  A blissful, I-can’t-remember-the-last-time-I-ever-felt-this-way kind of feeling that “today I accomplished everything I needed to do and more.”  That never happens.  As I said my evening prayers and then lay thinking about my day, I marveled that it was only one day.  I thought of all that had happened since I woke that morning and I felt gratitude when I realized that the entire day had gone smoothly—there was nothing I could think of that I would have done differently. 
Now don’t roll your eyes when you read this.  Like I said, this never happens to me.  And please don’t hate me when I report that it gets even better.  Not only did I feel extremely productive, but my children were cooperative and helpful and fun to be around.   (Yes, I’m sure there’s a connection there.)  I had to shake Brian awake and point out to him how amazing our day had been.  Unfortunately he was too tired to analyze it with me and figure out the secret so that we could duplicate such success in the future.  Before I went to sleep, I knew I had to document this day so that I could learn from it, but more importantly, so I’d have proof that my life at this time isn’t always as hurried, crazy, disorganized, and discouraging as it sometimes seems.
So, Mirien, how was your day, you ask?  Let me tell you all about it.

8am-After a great night’s sleep (a full 8 hours—so rare for me!), I made pancakes for breakfast.  Two different recipes for taste testing purposes.  Both were good.  (recipe coming soon on my cooking blog)
8:45-Brian left for Provo with H, C, and G.  Purposes of trip:  take G to purchase a used game system and games that he found on KSL (not so excited about this one but trying to teach money management and help kids learn valuable lessons about saving, bargain shopping, and negotiating while they still live at home, blah, blah); pick up J from cousin sleepover, drop C off at different cousin’s for a day of play.
8:45 I cleaned the kitchen, worked on laundry, exercised, and showered—ALL WITHOUT INTERRUPTIONS!
I didn’t expect to see E or A until late morning—it was Saturday and they’re teenagers—but A came downstairs just after 8 and started on homework. (?)   A friend came over to study with her and they worked for much of the day on AP US History.  As for E, he came up for breakfast, checked the job chart (!?) and said, “I’m glad the basement is my job today—I’ve been wanting to clean it.”  No joke, he really said that.
11-Brian returned H and J back home and then left with G for his swim meet across town.
11:30-I packed  some snacks/lunch for myself and H, then buckled her back in the van and took E to his basketball game (a little sad I couldn’t stay and watch today), drove J to a friend’s house so she could ride with them to play rehearsal later, and then headed to G’s meet.  I spent the next couple of hours catching up with Brian (yes, I need to catch up with my own husband) and his parents who joined our cheering section, entertaining (and being entertained by) H,  and watching G do something he LOVES.
2-Back at home, I did more housework along with G, who wanted to finish his chores so he could play his new games and then go to a friend’s house.  Brian left with E and H (Daddy’s little shadow) to his parents’ house to watch the BYU basketball game (we don’t get the games on our TV).
3-Drove to pick up J from rehearsal.  They weren’t finished yet, so I sat in the car and read the Book of Mormon for 15 minutes.  Then I convinced J to stop at Home Depot on the way home to pick up supplies for a mudroom project I’ve been wanting to tackle, and then a quick stop at the grocery store for some ingredients to make a giant ice cream cake for the big family birthday dinner on Sunday.
4:30-Both J and A wanted to go to the library, so I told them I’d take them as soon as they finished their Sat jobs.  J was tired and dragged her feet a little, but A stepped in and helped her finish.  I put dinner together and started it cooking.
5:15-A drove us to the library (while I stayed nice and calm in the passenger seat—I promise!) where she and J split up to find books.  I headed to the children’s section to find books for C and H until I stopped myself.  That’s what I always do, but for once I had a few minutes to myself in the library!  I headed to the periodicals and scanned cooking magazines.  30 minutes later I had some great dinner ideas and a few new ways to use the kale that had been sitting in my vegetable drawer. 
6-We returned home and I finished dinner prep while J and A curled up on the couch to dive into new books.  B, E, H, and C arrived, along with G and 2 friends.  While the kids ate, B and I changed clothes for our date.
7:15 B and I left for the temple.  As we pulled out of the garage, I commented—”we left 8 kids inside and it was amazingly calm in there.  Hope it stays that way!”
7:30 Dressed and ready in the temple (I know, we’re spoiled to live so close!) but it was a busy night so I had time to continue my Book of Mormon reading while I waited.  Usually I feel a bit rushed and stressed, but I just relaxed and enjoyed the peace.
9-Dinner at a Mexican restaurant with Brian.  We talked, enjoyed our food, talked some more, and took our time.
10:30 Back at home, we discovered C & H bathed and in bed (thank you, A!), dishes done, E on the computer, J still reading a book (we sent her to bed pronto!), and G and friends just finishing up a movie.  I mixed up the dessert for tomorrow.  While it was baking, B and I played a game with E and A until midnight and I didn’t win, which I loved because I got to observe just how SMART my kids are getting!
12:30  All kids are in bed, the house is quiet and somewhat tidy (not perfect by any stretch, but good enough),and I climbed into bed glad that I didn’t need to stay up and prepare Sharing Time for the next morning—my turn was last week. 


My perfect day.  Does it get any better than that?  Some of you are thinking, That was it?  Big deal.  And others may be thinking, Good for you, but you should see my messy house and look at the huge list of things I never have time to do!  I get it, I really do.  We’re all in different stages of life, and we all have good days and bad days.  Sometime I’m going to document one of the “not-so-perfect” days—I have so many to choose from.  But for now, I’m going to enjoy the sunshine a little bit longer.  What made this such a good day?  Here’s what I think.
  • The obvious:  Brian had Hayley for much of the day, and Corinne was gone from breakfast until dinner.  I love those little girls so much and I am glad I get to stay home with them, but I realized how much time I spend meeting their demands needs every day.  The little break was just what I needed—thank you Brian and Stephanie!
  • I read from the scriptures.  Not first thing in the morning like I’m striving for, but I still fit it in.  It was enlightening.
  • I exercised and showered one right after another, and both before noon—what a concept!  Enough said.
  • Maybe there is something to getting a good night's sleep...
  • I had time for myself in the library reading about something I’m interested in. 
  • I made progress towards home organization. 
  • I spent quality time with each of my children.  (except for Corinne, but I made time for her on Sunday afternoon—just the two of us.) I really enjoyed them. 
  • Brian and I worked as a team today—often apart, but with common goals.  And then we had time alone together.
  • My day really wasn’t perfect, of course, but I was in such a good mood that the normal little annoyances didn’t even annoy me.
Most days I struggle trying to squeeze all of those elements into my waking hours.  I know that I need to take care of the essential things each day, and then be selective about the rest of the things that easily fill up my time.  I’m learning.  Today just happened to be one of those days where it worked.  I cannot control all that happens or doesn’t happen, but I can control my choices and reactions.  Each night I have the opportunity to evaluate and try again the next morning.  I love what I do and I know that the Lord will guide me through the daily tests and challenges to help me become the woman He knows I can be.  One day at a time.

6 comments:

merathon said...

that does sound like an amazing yet packed-full day! even my busiest of days are NOTHING like that-- 3 kids vs 6, right? you are a GREAT mom!

Millard said...

I have lots of days I would call "ordinary days." Ordinary is good. An ordinary day is when none of my kids gets hurt. I don't have a problem with a customer or a co-worker. I eat ordinary healthful food. The traffic wasn't bad on the way home. I have only ordinary aches and pains--I hardly notice them. I love ordinary. I don't need peak experiences to be happy.

Jenni said...

I feel thrilled when my day includes, exercise, scripture reading and flossing!

Unknown said...

No shame in recording a perfect day! It's a great snapshot of your life right now, and will always remind you of all the other less-than-perfect ones. I really am in awe at how capable a mother you are! I know I'm in a different stage of life right now, but really, you're amazing!

Mirien said...

Jenni--I forgot the flossing!

Sarah--the amazing mother is your very own mom, as I'm sure you know. I have always admired her. And you'll be surprised what you'll be able to do in a few years, out of necessity! If I had read this post of mine about 10 years ago I think I would have been really worried about the future.

The Dahle Family said...

There are a few details of this day that are pretty surprising. First of all, you didn't win a game?!?! And you were happy about it? Wow.

Second, Brian voluntarily stayed up past 10:30 to play a game on a day that was that action-packed? Again, wow.

And you actually went to bed early enough on Friday night to get 8 hours of sleep? Unbelievable! Good for you! Elder Mazzagardi would be proud.

And Evan went so far as to say that he was glad he got to do his Saturday job? Wow!

I could go on, but suffice it to say, I can see why this all culminated into an unbelievably perfect day! Out of small things, great things are brought to pass, like one GREAT day! Hooray!