For years I’ve wanted to permanently hang a big map in our house, like the one Grandma and Grandpa Lowe had hanging next to their kitchen table. As Evan was preparing to submit his mission papers, I decided that I needed to get that map in place before he opened his mission call. I ordered a giant world map (10 feet by 6 feet) made by National Geographic. Before I could hang the map, I had to patch and prime walls, and then paint the study. It took me forever to choose a paint color! I finished painting the walls on Monday afternoon, all except for the spot where I planned to put the map.
I had an inspiration for our Family Home Evening lesson that night. We talked about how Evan would be receiving his mission call sometime that week and would be leaving for two years to serve the Lord. I told them that each of them will leave home one day and go forth somewhere to live the gospel and serve those around them, whether as a missionary or in another capacity. I asked them to pick their favorite scriptures, quotes, or hymns to write on the wall that will give them courage to fulfill their missions here on earth. I started them off with the message found on the sign at the entrance to BYU campus. “Enter to learn, go forth to serve”, since they were sent to our family to learn and prepare to one day leave home. This is the final result, though it is hard to read…
These are the messages we wrote:
And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things. Moroni 10:5
And it came to pass that I Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord has commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandment unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that the may accomplish the thing which he commanded them. 1 Ne 3:7
Go forth with faith to tell the world of Jesus Christ the Lord. Hymn #263
Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth. Alma 29:2
If ye are in the service of your fellow beings, ye are only in the service of your God. Mosiah 2:17
I’ll go where you want me to go, dear Lord. Hymn #270
I hope they call me on a mission. -Primary songbook
I will teach and preach and serve as missionaries do. -Primary songbook
I love to see the temple, I’m going their someday. -Primary songbook
And maybe my favorite in Hayley’s cute handwriting: I am a child of God. I love Evan and Alyssa.
On Tuesday, armed with thick wallpaper paste and a level, a friend helped me mount the map to our wall. The next morning, Evan received his mission call, so I finished just in time! I often walk past the study and find someone studying the map. I love it!
No comments:
Post a Comment